To join your Skype group call from a mobile or landline, your friends need to dial your Skype Number. You can then add them to the group call in Skype. You can have a group call with up to ten people (nine plus yourself).
If you're on a mobile with Skype installed, you can simply join the call by placing a Skype-to-Skype call to the group call's host from within the Skype application. If you're the call host, and one of the participants has Skype on their mobile, you can simply add them in the same manner.
Learn more about Skype Numbers or making group calls.
To add a mobile or landline caller to a group call already in progress, click the More icon (+), then click Add people to this call in the incoming call window that appears. Note that adding someone via a mobile or landline will cost Skype Credit (or might be covered if you have an existing subscription).
You can also merge calls. If you click Answer to incoming calls or call contacts individually, you will see more than one ongoing call on your Recent tab. To merge calls simply drag and drop one call to the other.
In the example below, you’d click and drag Charlie Kent to James Cooper, Jiro Ishikawa.
Watch the video to see how to make a group audio call in just under a minute. A step-by-step guide is also available below.
You can share a group call with up to 25 people, anywhere in the world, and if everyone’s on Skype it’s completely free.
Calling a new group
1. In Skype, click Contacts, then click Create New Group....
2. Click the Empty group name in the header, which will bring up the group profile.
Click the Edit icon to name your group.
Type in a group name, then close the group profile window.
3. Click the Add button to add people to the group, or drag and drop your contacts into the group.
If you use the Add button, your contact list will load; place a tick in the box for each person you wish to add, then click Add to Group.
If you're dragging and dropping contacts from either your Contacts or Recent list, simply drag and drop the ones you want into the group.
You can add up to 24 contacts.
4. Click the Call button .
The screen changes color, a call bar appears near the bottom of the screen and you'll hear ringing until the other people answer.
5. Say hello to everyone!
6. If you can't hear each other, click the call quality icon on the call bar and check your settings (you may have to move your mouse to make the call bar appear).
If you experience problems on your call, check our Call Quality troubleshooters.
7. To drop individual people from the call, move your mouse over the person’s image and click the red icon. You’ll only be able to do this if you are the host of the group video call.
To hang up, click the red End Call button.
To call a saved group
1. On the Contacts or Recent tab, find the group you want to call and click it. If you have lots of contacts, you can use the Search box to find the group.
2. Click the Call button.
Useful things you can do on a call
1. Show or hide your Contacts and Recent list.
2. Turn video on or off.
3. Click Add to: • send files during the call
• send contacts to other people during the call
• add people to your call.
• show the dial pad so you can dial extensions or make DTMF tones
4. Hang up the call.
5. Show or hide the IM window.